Rules To Follow:
- GGS provides science-based engineering education with a view to produce quality engineer-scientists. The curriculum provides broad based knowledge and simultaneously builds a temper for the life long process of learning and exploring. A student needs to do compulsory foundation courses in the areas of basic sciences, humanities and social sciences and engineering sciences apart from departmental requirements. Departmental courses (core and electives) constitute 50% of the total curriculum. Further, students do open category electives to develop broad interdisciplinary knowledge base or to specialize significantly in an area outside his parent discipline. Therefore, the course-structure is extremely flexible, giving due weightage to individual choices and interests.
- The curriculum at GGS provides for practical training in the summer following sixth semester for one semester, preferably in an industry or R&D institution- this industrial training provide the essential practical edge to the concepts assimilated by the students in class-rooms and labs. The “Summer Industrial Training” Programme aims to widen the student’s perspective by providing an exposure to real life organizational and environmental situations, being the most effective aid in enabling the students to relate theory to practice. The organization, in turn benefits from the objective and unbiased perspective the student provides based on concepts and skills imbibed in the three years at the institute. The “summer trainees” also serve as unofficial spokespersons of the organization and help in image building on campus.
- Students utilize the knowledge earned in their respective disciplines for cutting edge research- these final year projects are mandatory and are evaluated by the faculty. This calls for application of knowledge, investigative and disciplined thinking among several other qualities with the purpose of innovating and creating something truly unique. Also, industrial trips to observe the relevant examples and applications, with reference to the course content, are also mandatory.
- Beyond the confines of the academic calendar, students use summer and winter vacations to take up internships in various reputed organizations as well as assignments in educational institutions as a part of a continuous effort to enhance and test their ability and knowledge. Joint student projects under the guidance of senior faculty are also undertaken, sponsored by GGS itself or by the industry.
- The examination system at GGS, in keeping with the high standards of the JEE, tests the acumen, thoroughness and depth of understanding of the students. In each semester, three examinations- two Minor and one Major (at the end of the semester) test the students exhaustively while quizzes, assignments etc constantly keep them on their toes.
- Further, international professional societies like ISTE maintain an active presence at GGS, lending knowledge, experience and opportunity to the students. Seminars and symposiums are regularly held, allowing for exchange of ideas, exposure to new developments and serving as avenues for paper-presentation. Through these societies, students of GGS regularly participate in various competitions at the international level bringing further laurels to the institution.